Welcome to my blog. I hope you will return often for that second cup.

Writing has become more than a way to make lists or keep in touch with friends. It is a vital part of who I am. For the past few years I've been writing essays, devotionals, a memoir, and several novels. I invite you to join me on this site so we can explore ways together to improve our writings. Words can be beautiful or they can be hurtful - even devastating. The well-placed word or phrase, the choice metaphor, a fresh perspective - each can add to the reader's participation in sharing the thoughts of the writer. I invite anyone who wants to improve their work or even if you have never attempted writing beyond a grocery list to return often. Feel free to add your thoughts. There are no grades given - no critics to deter you. We do this as friends - chatting over their second cup of coffee. (or tea, if you prefer.)

Saturday, February 26, 2011

So what is POV??

In every occupation, sport, genre - the jargon, which seems so natural to the active participant, can be daunting to a newby. When I hear I-pad, I-pod, http, dos - etc, etc, I feel like a total stranger in this new world I live in. Slooowly, I'm learning, but it seems to come as second nature to my grandkids.

Writing has its own language too, and if you're new to this delightful world of words, you may not know what P.O.V. is really all about. Point-of-view is not as confusing as it sounds. As a well-known writer at a recent conference I attended suggested, "pretend you have a video camera on your protagonist's head. You will see the world as she or he sees it."

The point-of-view can be used in the 1st person. It would be similar to a diary - everything as you see it or process it. Most, if not all, memoirs use the first person.

"Head-hopping" is a no-no with most publishers. That would be when the writer writes from the perspective of one character and then in the same scene or paragraph have thoughts coming out of another person's mind. Example:  "I'm heading for the library, Joe," she said, hoping he would tag along.
                "That's funny, so am I," Joe remarked, wondering if she'd accept a date.

Don't be in two minds in the same paragraph. Most editors allow a change in the POV if it is done by chapter changes. Lynn Austen manages to place several characters in a book, each using their point of view. She handles it effectively, but she's an experienced writer.

Omniscient POV is from God's view. Everything can be seen at once. The writer has more freedom, but today readers seem to prefer the personal, human view. Inner thoughts are expressed to show emotional feeling. Italics are used for personal thoughts, prayers, epiphanies.

Most novels are written in the 3rd person and I find that the easiest format to use, but each writer has to discover what works best for their particular style.

Please feel free to add comments. I'm certainly no expert and can always use a fresh view.

No comments:

Post a Comment